The Nightmare Zone
Dead Set (2008) - Printable Version

+- The Nightmare Zone (https://thenightmarezone.net)
+-- Forum: Horror (https://thenightmarezone.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Horror TV Shows (https://thenightmarezone.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Dead Set (2008) (/showthread.php?tid=1728)

Dead Set (2008) - Kevin R. - 01-09-2019

Dead Set (2008)

Network: E4
1 season, 5 episodes

[Image: MV5BMTQ1NDgxMzM4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA0...68_AL_.jpg]

Quote:Inspired, says creator Charlie Brooker, by the classic horror film Dawn of the Dead, this five-episode series chronicles a nightmare scenario in which Britain is taken over by zombies. No one is spared the wrath of the undead... except the contestants and production staff filming a season of Big Brother. As they're unaware of what's happening outside, the house becomes a safe haven. Then the doors open on eviction night and all hell breaks loose. Among the stars is Big Brother presenter Davina McCall, who plays herself (and her dead self).

Repo, Ken, and I were talking about screening this on Saturday. I've seen it before, back before anybody in the US had even heard of Black Mirror (this comes from the same creator), and it's a great sendup of reality TV, specifically the British version of Big Brother. Probably my favorite zombie TV show or miniseries ever made, up there with the first season of The Walking Dead.

RE: Dead Set (2008) - Repo - 01-09-2019

(01-09-2019, 04:53 AM)Kevin R. Wrote: Probably my favorite zombie TV show or miniseries ever made, up there with the first season of The Walking Dead.

I admittedly haven't seen this, but iZombie says hi, and is certainly better than any TWD season (no shock, it's the Veronica Mars showrunner). This does look fun, though, and I'm definitely hyped to screen.

RE: Dead Set (2008) - Kevin R. - 01-12-2019

For some reason, I don't normally think of iZombie as a zombie show, even though it's right in the title. Probably because it's not a zombie apocalypse show.

RE: Dead Set (2008) - Repo - 01-12-2019

iZombie actually plays with the zombie apocalypse trope in some really interesting ways in later seasons.

RE: Dead Set (2008) - Mr. Green - 01-13-2019

I kinda love the BB concept.

RE: Dead Set (2008) - Kevin R. - 01-21-2019

I was just screening this with Repo and Ken. The most memorable moment was how it took of them all of ten seconds after the show started to decide that Big Brother UK was trash.

RE: Dead Set (2008) - Kevin R. - 02-05-2019

The show itself, fortunately, wasn't trash. In fact, I think it's actually one of the best zombie movies or shows of the last twenty years. The idea of combining the infighting that destroys the survivors in many zombie movies with the drama of reality show contestants was gold, and it was executed well, with plenty of great zombie kills, a memorable cast, a loathsome villain, and a mix of funny moments with grisly and haunting ones. I definitely don't regret screening it, even if it meant showing Repo and Ken firsthand just how bad the UK version of Big Brother really was.

My full review is here.