Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dying Breed (2008)
[Image: r311904_1373832.jpg]
Between 1788 and 1868, Australia served as a penal colony for the British Empire and Tasmania was the most feared. The prisoner Alexander "The Pieman" Pearce escaped and survived in the woods eating human flesh. In the present days, the researcher Nina organizes an expedition to Tasmania to proceed the work of her deceased sister Ruth and find evidences of the extinct Tasmanian tiger in the wilderness. She travels to a remote area with her boyfriend Matt and his troublemaker friend Jack that brings his girlfriend Rebecca and they spend the night in a village of descendants of "The Pieman". Sooner the quartet discovers that things have to stay hidden to survive.
[Image: 1l2xAbI.png?2]
You don`t trust me. You don`t think a man can change?
[Image: NOLFt6k.gif?1][Image: sjtAraL.gif?1][Image: LIfUrJ5.gif?1]
[Image: GVxVkcA.gif?1][Image: RIFvTv6.gif][Image: DcS6mJE.gif?1]
The world`s a cesspool, filled with selfish and greedy beasts. We live. We die.

This was pretty good, I liked Matt & Jack a lot and Rebeccca was pretty fun. Nina was kinda a dud though. The movie wasn't super groundbreaking but it had a lot of good atmosphere and was enjoyable
[Image: ijRL86a.png?1]
Is there anything better than a natural disaster? 
The panic, the people lost in the streets. It`s like picking fruit off the vine. 

[Image: tumblr_mxnb1sKy7V1qj13q4o1_250.gif][Image: omlbM48.gif][Image: tumblr_p5pdtueuiI1qjvx7uo7_250.gif]
[Image: tumblr_mv30eflOD41qj13q4o2_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_mv30eflOD41qj13q4o1_r2_250.gif][Image: tumblr_mv30eflOD41qj13q4o4_r1_250.gif]
You have some nice atmosphere for sure, and there's even a few genuinely creepy bits with the weird village and cannibals. That said... it's okayish at best. I think characters and kills are probably the biggest problems: Leigh Whannell makes for a genuinely likeable lead, but the rest.. Nathan Phillips is at least a good actor and manages to keep Jack more on the entertaining end of being an obnoxious uber-douchebag. Girls don't fair as well: Rebecca is kinda fun, but isn't in it tons and probably could wear a signpost saying BODYCOUNT. Nina is pretty mediocre and grating all around. As far as final girls go, not doing it for me. Kills are also a bit dry. The double bear-trap one is kind of cool, but on a whole, more gore would be nice.

But even that doesn't quite capture it's issues. It's okay but something doesn't come together. Characters are part of it. Kills are part of it. And maybe pacing? It's a bit too slow. Not quite a dull drag, but some tightening might be good. You never quite feel the tension and intensity you should. They just needed to push it more. Oh, and the ending sucks, but this is a 2000s fairly DTV horror. That's to be expected.

Though as a whole, yeah, it's okay enough. Good atmosphere, Leigh is likeable, and Nathan at least makes his character kind of watchable and entertainingly douchey. Jack is almost as crazy as the cannibals, lolz.
[Image: 1l2xAbI.png?2]
You don`t trust me. You don`t think a man can change?
[Image: NOLFt6k.gif?1][Image: sjtAraL.gif?1][Image: LIfUrJ5.gif?1]
[Image: GVxVkcA.gif?1][Image: RIFvTv6.gif][Image: DcS6mJE.gif?1]
The world`s a cesspool, filled with selfish and greedy beasts. We live. We die.