Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coven General Discussion
[Image: yFx0npW.jpg?1]

American Horror Story: Coven tells the secret history of witches and witchcraft in America. Over 300 years have passed since the turbulent days
of the Salem witch trials and those who managed to escape are now facing extinction. Mysterious attacks have been escalating against their kind
and young girls are being sent away to a special school in New Orleans to learn how to protect themselves. Wrapped up in the turmoil is new arrival,
Zoe, who is harboringa terrifying secret of her own. Alarmed by the recent aggression, Fiona, the long-absent Supreme, sweeps back into town
determined to protect the Coven and hell bent on decimating anyone who gets in her way.
[Image: w9H9Sbv.png?1]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo3-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo4-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo1-250.gif]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo5-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo8-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo6-250.gif]
We have a payload to deliver to the heart of our nearest star. We are delivering that payload cause that star is dying and, if it dies, we die, everything dies. So that is our mission, there is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story.

So I rewatched Coven recently with Mom, and a damn good chunk of it holds up great. Angela Bassett is not one of those things. She still does a fine job playing her usual hardass bitch charrie, but seeing the character done repeatedly after this season kinda kills Marie for me. A lot.
[Image: tumblr_ns3pgv1Xx21rln3sqo2_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_ns3pgv1Xx21rln3sqo7_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_ns3pgv1Xx21rln3sqo8_r1_250.gif]

Held by memories, in this moment, I turn into a coward
and choose a life in which I can`t even feel pain!
Held by memories, in this moment, I can`t go forward!
I can`t allow myself a life of wandering after something...

[Image: tumblr_ns3pgv1Xx21rln3sqo3_r2_250.gif][Image: tumblr_ns3pgv1Xx21rln3sqo5_r3_250.gif][Image: tumblr_ns3pgv1Xx21rln3sqo6_r1_250.gif]
I'm pretty hyped for Madison to return
[Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o3_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o7_r3_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o5_r2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o1_400.gif]
We are all in strung-out shape, but stay frosty, and alert. We cannot afford to let one of those bastards in here.
This season still is the most iconic forum casting wise.
[Image: tumblr_n83m0sN3RQ1qeybv0o3_r1_250.gifv][Image: tumblr_n83m0sN3RQ1qeybv0o2_250.gifv][Image: tumblr_n83m0sN3RQ1qeybv0o4_r1_250.gifv]
[Image: tumblr_nf4nl9HPip1qenumho6_r1_250.gifv][Image: tumblr_o9hipl2OmL1ub5aypo7_250.gifv][Image: tumblr_o9hipl2OmL1ub5aypo8_250.gifv]

Ser Jaime Lannister. On the breast of his tunic, the lion of his House was embroidered in gold thread, roaring its defiance. they called him the Lion of Lannister to his face and whispered “Kingslayer” behind his back. Jon found it hard to look away from him. “This is what a king should look like”, he thought to himself as he passed
Given how the ending of this season was such a disappointment, I always wondered just why so many fans consider Coven one of American Horror Story's most iconic seasons. And then it hit me: the ending wouldn't have been such a disappointment if the rest of the show hadn't been so good. (I did watch the season to the end, after all.) Having a character who could bring people back from the dead did wind up making death feel cheap, true, but the characters were amazing, the setting was outstanding, and it really nailed the look and feel of what this sort of willfully campy-yet-gothic show (not quite horror-comedy like Scream Queens, but definitely a very heightened setting) was supposed to be.

To put it in fewer words: the YouTuber Lindsay Ellis has described Mean Girls as a remake of The Craft, but as a comedy without the witchcraft and horror elements. To that, I say that Coven is a TV adaptation of Mean Girls with the witchcraft and horror elements put back in, but without losing the quotable dialogue.
(09-06-2018, 05:43 AM)Kevin R. Wrote: Given how the ending of this season was such a disappointment, I always wondered just why so many fans consider Coven one of American Horror Story's most iconic seasons. And then it hit me: the ending wouldn't have been such a disappointment if the rest of the show hadn't been so good. (I did watch the season to the end, after all.) Having a character who could bring people back from the dead did wind up making death feel cheap, true, but the characters were amazing, the setting was outstanding, and it really nailed the look and feel of what this sort of willfully campy-yet-gothic show (not quite horror-comedy like Scream Queens, but definitely a very heightened setting) was supposed to be.

To put it in fewer words: the YouTuber Lindsay Ellis has described Mean Girls as a remake of The Craft, but as a comedy without the witchcraft and horror elements. To that, I say that Coven is a TV adaptation of Mean Girls with the witchcraft and horror elements put back in, but without losing the quotable dialogue.

I can agree with a lot of that. The tone of the season especially keeps it watchable. Even as everything is going to hell in a handbasket plotwise (sometimes even quite literally), the gothic-campy tone and mostly-awesome characters keep it enjoyable. And when this season was on, holy shit was it ON. The Coven pilot is still the strongest pilot AHS has ever produced, and there's a lot of amazing content in general for the front half. I just wish we had a more coherent ending.

Aside from that, some characters could be better. Cordelia is pretty bland. Kyle and Zoe are pretty terrible (and the former is a complete waste of one of the show's strongest cast members). Queenie starts out fun but really loses me. I'd also say that
Show ContentSpoiler:
[Image: w9H9Sbv.png?1]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo3-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo4-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo1-250.gif]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo5-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo8-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo6-250.gif]
We have a payload to deliver to the heart of our nearest star. We are delivering that payload cause that star is dying and, if it dies, we die, everything dies. So that is our mission, there is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story.

The weakest characters survive & the ending is a mess, but the season does have a lot of highlight characters/episodes as well. But it ends up being such a mixed bag
[Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o3_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o7_r3_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o5_r2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o1_400.gif]
We are all in strung-out shape, but stay frosty, and alert. We cannot afford to let one of those bastards in here.
This is still the most 'fun' season that I've seen so far. I don't like the survivors, and a lot of the outcomes of my favs....  death ...BUT for how good the actual hits are, a couple of the best characters in the series, and how fun I always have watching this with people (especially when it first aired omg) makes me still love it. 

I'm so hyped at Misty and Madison coming back for the new season tho. FIX THAT MESS OF A ENDING PLZ.  Prayer
[Image: tumblr_n83m0sN3RQ1qeybv0o3_r1_250.gifv][Image: tumblr_n83m0sN3RQ1qeybv0o2_250.gifv][Image: tumblr_n83m0sN3RQ1qeybv0o4_r1_250.gifv]
[Image: tumblr_nf4nl9HPip1qenumho6_r1_250.gifv][Image: tumblr_o9hipl2OmL1ub5aypo7_250.gifv][Image: tumblr_o9hipl2OmL1ub5aypo8_250.gifv]

Ser Jaime Lannister. On the breast of his tunic, the lion of his House was embroidered in gold thread, roaring its defiance. they called him the Lion of Lannister to his face and whispered “Kingslayer” behind his back. Jon found it hard to look away from him. “This is what a king should look like”, he thought to himself as he passed