Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Predator (2018)
[Image: ThePredator-Thermal-Poster.jpg&h=600&q=100]

From the outer reaches of space to the small-town streets of suburbia, the hunt comes home. The universe's most lethal hunters are stronger, smarter and deadlier than ever before, having genetically upgraded themselves with DNA from other species. When a boy accidentally triggers their return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race.
This looks pretty promising.
[Image: zcS5rlI.png?1]
[Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo6_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo5_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo7_r1_400.gif]
[Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo4_400.gif]

[Image: pnGk9h2.png?1]
My expectations for this are all over the place. Big fan of Shane Black, not the biggest fan of the trailers which go from "eh... okay to pretty good", fan of the cast, not sure what's the deal with third act which needed reshoots.

Could be something fun, but I just don't know at the moment if it will come together to fully deliver the movie I want this to be.
I actually really want to see this, saw the trailer during The Meg, could be really good or a hot mess. Either way it'll be entertaining.
[Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o3_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o7_r3_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o5_r2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o1_400.gif]
We are all in strung-out shape, but stay frosty, and alert. We cannot afford to let one of those bastards in here.
(08-13-2018, 08:41 PM)An Opposer Wrote: My expectations for this are all over the place. Big fan of Shane Black, not the biggest fan of the trailers which go from "eh... okay to pretty good", fan of the cast, not sure what's the deal with third act which needed reshoots.

Could be something fun, but I just don't know at the moment if it will come together to fully deliver the movie I want this to be.

Agreed with a lot of this. Only things I’d throw in are the cast members I’m a big fan of (Alfie Allen and Yvonne Strahovski) look like fairly minor roles; Olivia Munn, while very beautiful, is not a very good actress despite her leading female role. 

The other Predator sequels have me worried too. 2 and AvP:R were both pretty awful, and AvP/Predators are “just” mediocre in my opinion
[Image: w9H9Sbv.png?1]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo3-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo4-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo1-250.gif]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo5-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo8-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo6-250.gif]
We have a payload to deliver to the heart of our nearest star. We are delivering that payload cause that star is dying and, if it dies, we die, everything dies. So that is our mission, there is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story.

Unfortunately it's getting panned. Maybe the critics are just being overly harsh, but idk.
[Image: zcS5rlI.png?1]
[Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo6_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo5_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo7_r1_400.gif]
[Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_ov0cubBf6t1r3ykuvo4_400.gif]

[Image: pnGk9h2.png?1]
(09-17-2018, 12:52 AM)TheCheetahwings Wrote: Unfortunately it's getting panned. Maybe the critics are just being overly harsh, but idk.

Pretty much every Predator movie aside from the first one has ranged from mediocre to outright sucking. I doubt they’re being overly harsh
[Image: w9H9Sbv.png?1]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo3-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo4-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo1-250.gif]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo5-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo8-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo6-250.gif]
We have a payload to deliver to the heart of our nearest star. We are delivering that payload cause that star is dying and, if it dies, we die, everything dies. So that is our mission, there is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story.

I'm not really shocked. It either looked like it'd be a decent film or dreadful.
[Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o3_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o7_r3_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o5_r2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o1_400.gif]
We are all in strung-out shape, but stay frosty, and alert. We cannot afford to let one of those bastards in here.
Having seen this opening night, I'm inclined to say "decent film", though it is a seriously flawed one. Most of the problems come down to the editing -- not with the action scenes (which are great), or the language and violence (this is a very bloody and profane film), but rather, with how the story was treated. It felt like the studio wanted this movie to be as short as possible so they could cram in more showtimes and sell more tickets, and not only did they cut the fat, they also cut the meat as well. There is a really good movie buried somewhere in this, such that I'd love to see a director's cut and listen to behind-the-scenes stories about the studio meddling that surely went down, but it's buried under a plot that was already quite sprawling to begin with, and is nearly incomprehensible in the finished film.

My full review is here.
(09-21-2018, 01:42 AM)Kevin R. Wrote: Having seen this opening night, I'm inclined to say "decent film", though it is a seriously flawed one. Most of the problems come down to the editing -- not with the action scenes (which are great), or the language and violence (this is a very bloody and profane film), but rather, with how the story was treated. It felt like the studio wanted this movie to be as short as possible so they could cram in more showtimes and sell more tickets, and not only did they cut the fat, they also cut the meat as well. There is a really good movie buried somewhere in this, such that I'd love to see a director's cut and listen to behind-the-scenes stories about the studio meddling that surely went down, but it's buried under a plot that was already quite sprawling to begin with, and is nearly incomprehensible in the finished film.

My full review is here.

ahh