Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final Destination 3 (2006)
[Image: Final-Destination-3-movie-poster.jpg]

When Wendy Christensen has a vision of an accident on the roller coaster, resulting in her and her friends' deaths, she instantly begins to panic, causing more of her friends to be left of the ride. The remaining friends, including Wendy's boyfriend, are stuck on the roller coaster and find themselves involved in the accident. With death waiting around the corner, Wendy and Kevin Fischer must try and work out death's plan, before they and the remaining survivors end up dead.
[Image: w9H9Sbv.png?1]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo3-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo4-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo1-250.gif]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo5-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo8-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo6-250.gif]
We have a payload to deliver to the heart of our nearest star. We are delivering that payload cause that star is dying and, if it dies, we die, everything dies. So that is our mission, there is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story.

I'm mixed on this. I find it to be stellar sometimes & just a shadow of the original others.
[Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o3_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o7_r3_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o5_r2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o1_400.gif]
We are all in strung-out shape, but stay frosty, and alert. We cannot afford to let one of those bastards in here.
It totally pales in comparison to 1, 2, and 5. I'll give it that Wendy and Kevin make for an amazing lead duo (possibly even the strongest duo), but there are MAJOR problems with the rest of this movie. It's basically a hybrid of 1 and 2, without the two most important elements that made either film work: creativity and originality + a likeable cast. In the cast of the former, there... just isn't anything remotely original on display here. Every single element has been done before and done better in both 1 and 2 (and done after better in 5). The closest thing to a new idea is the picture subplot stolen from Goosebumps, which is just a lazier way to show clues that introduces quite a few plotholes.

As for the characters, the cast, sans Kevin and Wendy, are one-dimensional and (mostly) assholes. Some are definitely more entertaining than others (I like Kris Lemche in general, and he does help elevate Ian a bit with some funny lines here and there. The going psycho arc also makes him feel a little more multi-dimensional than the rest... even if it has some major mental gymnastics going on), but, at the end of the day, 1/2/5 had FAR stronger ensembles because they didn't fuck around with making everyone a stereotype that wouldn't even be fit for a Friday film.

These also combine to two of the biggest problems plagueing this film: tone and pacing. The former is a confused mess, featuring gloomy, suspenseful buildup, atmosphere, and scenarios... which are then undercut by the obnoxious "comic-relief" ensemble. It's hard to feel tons of suspense about whether or not Erin is going to die when the audience is given every reason to hope she bites it. You've got a movie that tries to be scary and funny and it totally bombs both. As for pacing, the movie is really, really repetitive. It is, literally (sans opening and ending): Kevin and Wendy know death is after them and seek out clues, Kevin and Wendy go to warn random idiot, random idiot dies, rinse and repeat. There's a biiiit of minor variation (just Wendy tries to warn the Ashes and doesn't see them die, they don't speak to Frankie, Erin pushes Ian over the edge, etc.), but it's still pretty cut, dry, and repetitive as far as an FD movie goes.

Also the roller coaster premonition was a complete dud from start to finish, featuring bad CGI, some truly horrible music, and an in-general lack of suspense or scares. Also fuck Julie, both for being an annoying twat and having an offscreen character arc.

In general it just annoys me because this franchise should be aspiring to SO much more than what this movie turned out to be. I actually genuinely enjoy it enough as dumb fun (emphasis on dumb) and I'd be a lot less harsh if it was a Friday the 13th sequel.. but it's not. It's an FD sequel, and it does not even remotely measure up to what it should be and the standard set by 1/2/5, even if it's watchable enough to be entertaining. Everything that actually went wrong with TFD has roots in this movie, it's just way better executed than that.
[Image: w9H9Sbv.png?1]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo3-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo4-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo1-250.gif]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo5-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo8-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo6-250.gif]
We have a payload to deliver to the heart of our nearest star. We are delivering that payload cause that star is dying and, if it dies, we die, everything dies. So that is our mission, there is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story.