Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dark (2018)
The Dark (2018)

Not rated

[Image: MV5BZmYzNzEyNTQtMTI2OC00M2JiLThiOTItYzNk...00_AL_.jpg]

Quote:An undead teenage girl befriends a blind boy that she meets in a forest she haunts and hunts in. Both have been victims of unimaginable abuse, and each finds solace in the other. There may be a chance of light at the end of their tunnel, but it will come with a body count.

Saw this at Popcorn Frights, and in general, it seemed like this movie really wanted to be Let the Right One In, but with a zombie instead of a vampire. And overall, it worked on every level except the important one: I did not give a damn about the relationship between the two protagonists. Unlike Let the Right One In with its treatment of Eli, this movie often seemed to forget that the zombie girl at the center of its story was a predator first and foremost, with the scenes where she kills and eats people not only feeling tacked on, but killing my sympathy for her. I would've liked this movie if it had focused on either of the two main characters, with the other as a supporting player, as their backstories were both far more interesting than what happened in the movie, it was certainly well-shot with solid acting from the leads, and the "revenant" zombie that they went with is seen too rarely in modern films. But overall, it was a movie that always felt like it was on the cusp of getting good, but never making it.

My review of this, and of the other films I saw that night at the festival, is here.
[Image: tumblr_lk94ugdWBf1qe6mn3o1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_lfn89rxh3M1qbxq6qo1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_mqevaqodRr1qke7z9o3_500.gif]

----------

Latest review: Shazam! (2019)