Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Cut of the Dead (2018)
One Cut of the Dead (Kamera o tomeru na!) (2018)

Not rated

[Image: MV5BZDQ0ZDZhNjUtZjI4Ny00Mzc4LTg2NzUtYjM0...@._V1_.jpg]

Quote:Things go badly for a hack director and film crew shooting a low-budget zombie movie in an abandoned WWII Japanese facility, when they are attacked by real zombies.

This was the final film of the Popcorn Frights Film Festival, and they went out with a bang. I loved this movie. The main conceit of the first half is that it's all shot in a single 45-minute take (hence the "One Cut" in the title), and damn it, they actually managed to pull it off, albeit not without some hokeyness. The technical achievement alone is impressive. That said, it was the second half that really made this movie, because that's when this turns into an out-and-out comedy about the making of that film, and all of the many mishaps that led to its... quirks. Given that you know what's going to happen, the fun comes from watching all the ways in which things go hilariously wrong on set and how they manage to work around it, from an actor drunk off his ass to a broken crane for the final shot to the fact that doing everything in one take limits how special effects can be used, all while the executive from the "Zombie Channel" that's making the film watches the production unfold. This was easily one of the funniest movies of the year.

My review of this film, along with the other films I watched that night at the festival, is here.
[Image: tumblr_lk94ugdWBf1qe6mn3o1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_lfn89rxh3M1qbxq6qo1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_mqevaqodRr1qke7z9o3_500.gif]

----------

Latest review: Captain Marvel (2019)