Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lords of Salem (2012)
The Lords of Salem (2012)

Rated R for disturbing violent and sexual content, graphic nudity, language and some drug use

[Image: Lords-of-salem-teaser.jpg]

Quote:Heidi, a radio DJ, is sent a box containing a record -- a "gift from the Lords". The sounds within the grooves trigger flashbacks of her town's violent past. Is Heidi going mad, or are the Lords back to take revenge on Salem, Massachusetts?

I've heard that this is the most unusual film that Rob Zombie has made, and having just watched it for the first time for the October Challenge, I can see why. This was a very frustrating film, but it's one that ultimately succeeds, albeit as a mood piece rather than a coherent story. The plot overall is fairly weak, but it did a great job of building up a really unsettling atmosphere rooted in vintage "Satanic Panic" paranoia concerning rock music. It reminded me a lot of various modern indie horror films like It Follows, Hereditary, and The Witch, albeit a version thereof that didn't really work all the way through; the reason why, I feel, is the ambiguity that those films typically bring to the table, which this film doesn't, instead explaining everything through the historian character even though I was already way ahead of him as I watched it. Still, it's worth seeing at least once, just to see Rob Zombie demonstrating that he can do more than just his usual grindhouse-throwback style.

My full review is here.
I remember I tried watching this once...I didn't make it very far into it before turning it off
[Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo9_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo10_400.gif]

When I was scared, I would imagine myself building a big wall all around me,
 made of the strongest bricks in the whole world.
And when I got scared, I would imagine myself putting another one on,
 one after the other, until that wall was so thick and so strong
 I knew I’d be safe in there forever.

[Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo8_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo6_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo4_400.gif]
Honestly, I really, really hated the trailer. Looked pretentious and try-hard. Sheri as lead isn’t particularly appealing either
[Image: 1l2xAbI.png?2]
You don`t trust me. You don`t think a man can change?
[Image: NOLFt6k.gif?1][Image: sjtAraL.gif?1][Image: LIfUrJ5.gif?1]
[Image: GVxVkcA.gif?1][Image: RIFvTv6.gif][Image: DcS6mJE.gif?1]
The world`s a cesspool, filled with selfish and greedy beasts. We live. We die.

This movie looks really blah, ever since I got over the initial like of Rob Zombie movies honestly.
[Image: ijRL86a.png?1]
Is there anything better than a natural disaster? 
The panic, the people lost in the streets. It`s like picking fruit off the vine. 

[Image: tumblr_mxnb1sKy7V1qj13q4o1_250.gif][Image: omlbM48.gif][Image: tumblr_p5pdtueuiI1qjvx7uo7_250.gif]
[Image: tumblr_mv30eflOD41qj13q4o2_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_mv30eflOD41qj13q4o1_r2_250.gif][Image: tumblr_mv30eflOD41qj13q4o4_r1_250.gif]
(10-23-2018, 04:49 AM)Dean Winchester Wrote: Honestly, I really, really hated the trailer. Looked pretentious and try-hard. Sheri as lead isn’t particularly appealing either

Honestly, I completely agree. I remember thinking the same thing when I watched it @pretentious and try-hard.
[Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo9_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo10_400.gif]

When I was scared, I would imagine myself building a big wall all around me,
 made of the strongest bricks in the whole world.
And when I got scared, I would imagine myself putting another one on,
 one after the other, until that wall was so thick and so strong
 I knew I’d be safe in there forever.

[Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo8_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo6_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pgrfgzqDeE1qm3yaoo4_400.gif]
Yeah never bothered with this. While Rob Zombie does work better with his own ideas.... I just don't wanna see more edgy garbage <3
[Image: tumblr_p80q63N5Si1qcxtm5o7_400.gif][Image: tumblr_p80q63N5Si1qcxtm5o4_400.gif][Image: tumblr_p80q63N5Si1qcxtm5o8_400.gif]
[Image: tumblr_p80q63N5Si1qcxtm5o6_400.gif][Image: tumblr_p80q63N5Si1qcxtm5o5_400.gif][Image: tumblr_p80q63N5Si1qcxtm5o1_400.gif]

Somewhere there’s a place where I find who I’m gonna be, a somewhere that’s just waiting to be found.

This didn’t really feel that try-hard to me, especially compared to House of 1000 Corpses. It felt like he was trying to do something more artistic, albeit filtered through his sensibilities. It didn’t work the whole way through, especially when it came to storytelling, but it was an interesting experiment.
(10-27-2018, 02:51 PM)Kevin R. Wrote: This didn’t really feel that try-hard to me, especially compared to House of 1000 Corpses. It felt like he was trying to do something more artistic, albeit filtered through his sensibilities. It didn’t work the whole way through, especially when it came to storytelling, but it was an interesting experiment.

That's sort of what I meant by "try-hard." Not try-hard screwed up and gritty and gory, but overly artsy and stylized in all the wrong ways. I don't really like what I've seen of how it's filmed or how it's lit. It's trying really hard to be artistic and Suspiria-esque, but it's not succeeding and it's really offputting to me.
[Image: 1l2xAbI.png?2]
You don`t trust me. You don`t think a man can change?
[Image: NOLFt6k.gif?1][Image: sjtAraL.gif?1][Image: LIfUrJ5.gif?1]
[Image: GVxVkcA.gif?1][Image: RIFvTv6.gif][Image: DcS6mJE.gif?1]
The world`s a cesspool, filled with selfish and greedy beasts. We live. We die.

I didn't watch because I don't really lean towards Rob Zombie films.
He opens his mouth but the words wont come out
Hes choking, how?! Everybodys joking now
The clocks run out.. times up.. over-BALOW!

[Image: tumblr_o5fhronfb81r2me74o1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_o5fhronfb81r2me74o5_250.gif][Image: tumblr_o5fhronfb81r2me74o3_250.gif]
[Image: tumblr_o5fhronfb81r2me74o2_250.gif][Image: tumblr_o5fhronfb81r2me74o6_250.gif][Image: tumblr_o5fhronfb81r2me74o4_250.gif]

Snap back to reality, OPE, there goes gravity, OPE
There goes Rabbit, he choked, hes so mad but he wont
Give up that easy, no, he wont have it, he knows..
His whole back to these ropes, it dont matter, he dope