Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Nightmare on Elm Street remake kill the remake trend?
Before the remake for A Nightmare on Elm Street, each year or months we had a new horror remake and a new slasher remake in theaters, but since ANOES10 the trend died. [/color][/color]

Is the Nightmare remake the cause of that?
GINGER FITZGERALD 
[Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo5_400.gif][Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo6_400.gif]
[Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo8_400.gif][Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo7_400.gif][Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo4_400.gif]
I'd like to hope so. Some of those movies were true stinkers. At the very least, it killed the more cynical cash-grabs that Platinum Dunes specialized in. Nowadays, they have to at least pretend to put effort into remakes. (Imagine if the Evil Dead or Suspiria remakes had been made ten years ago. Brrrrrr.)
[Image: tumblr_ndmca8WK6j1rp0vkjo1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_ndtsl4bRoA1rp0vkjo1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_md8voi6luz1qgx37po1_500.gif]

----------

Latest review: Creed II (2018)
sis why do you color your text the same black as the forum at use like green omg

I think that it definitely killed the remake trend somewhat but it's more the fact that there were so MANY remakes that people grew sick of them
[Image: cMOBKOg.png]

Tell me something boy.  Aren`t you tired trying to fill that void? Or do you need more? Ain`t it hard keeping it so harcore? 
I`m falling... In all the good times I find myself longing for change... And in the bad times I fear myself.
[Image: tumblr_pfqaf8DbXA1vrokeeo8_400.gif][Image: fLWkBYs.gif][Image: 6nDCFVL.gif]
[Image: rHMuXKc.gif][Image: 7lLbJPD.gif][Image: ldx12C9.gif]
I`m off the deep end, watch as I dive in. I`ll never meet the ground. Crash through the surface
where they can`t hurt us... We`re far from the Shallow now!
It helped kill them, but no way did this specific movie strike them down. Bad reviews or not, it mad box office (albeit diminishing returns I think). I think part of it was running out of mainstream movies TO remake, and then the sequel trend took off and that really left it dead in water since people responded far better to that.
[Image: QZgm7BV.png]
God save us from half the people who think they`re doing God`s work.
[Image: hmxtIX1.gif][Image: 5iHvug5.gif][Image: ymCkuEn.gif]
[Image: htq0bgP.gif][Image: IDgw5N0.gif][Image: hViSDml.gif]
I mean come on, we hunt Monsters! Normal people - they see a monster and they run, but not us; we search out things that want to kill us. You know who does that? Crazy People!
(12-01-2018, 04:07 AM)TheCheetahwings Wrote: sis why do you color your text the same black as the forum at use like green omg

I think that it definitely killed the remake trend somewhat but it's more the fact that there were so MANY remakes that people grew sick of them

I didn't do it on purpose it appeared like that when I made the thread its annoying me.
GINGER FITZGERALD 
[Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo5_400.gif][Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo6_400.gif]
[Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo8_400.gif][Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo7_400.gif][Image: tumblr_or59qqkzhZ1v28xtyo4_400.gif]
Personally, I've always been of the opinion that The Cabin in the Woods doesn't get enough credit for setting off a sea change in the horror genre. That movie was made at the height of the remake trend and was supposed to be released in 2010 (at least before MGM went bankrupt), and while it ultimately had to wait until 2012, those horror remakes were still fresh in everyone's memory when it came out. Its legacy is like Brian Eno's quote about the Velvet Underground's debut album (that only a thousand people bought it, but every one of them started a band): not everybody saw The Cabin in the Woods when it first came out, but it often feels like everyone who did went on to make a horror movie. That film really tapped into the frustration that a lot of horror fans, myself included, had with the genre in the 2000s, as best exemplified with the trend of literally recycling old or foreign stories and hoping that they work again here and now.
[Image: tumblr_ndmca8WK6j1rp0vkjo1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_ndtsl4bRoA1rp0vkjo1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_md8voi6luz1qgx37po1_500.gif]

----------

Latest review: Creed II (2018)