Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mandy (2018)
Mandy (2018)

Not rated

[Image: Mandy_(2018_film).png]

Quote:In the Pacific Northwest in 1983, outsiders Red Miller and Mandy Bloom lead a loving and peaceful existence. When their pine-scented haven is savagely destroyed by a cult led by the sadistic Jeremiah Sand, Red is catapulted into a phantasmagoric journey filled with bloody vengeance and laced with deadly fire.

A word of note: I have heard from other critics that this is a film best enjoyed while under the influence of psychedelic drugs. I can tell you that such drugs are not needed, because watching this movie will get you high as fuck either way. It's a balls-tripping action-horror movie where the presence of Nicolas Cage wielding a battleaxe while high on cocaine is not even close to the craziest or most awesome thing in it. The first half or so gives you a hint of what you're in for with its crazy imagery, mixing Hellraiser and epic fantasy in equal measure, but once the action really kicks in during the third act, all of that feels like a prologue to what can only be described as the best modern-day Conan the Barbarian remake that Guillermo del Toro never made. It is an exceptionally metal movie, in both its moody first half when its building an aura of mounting dread, and in its second half where it really grabs the bull by the horns. It's probably one of the best movies of last year, and certainly the best pure action movie.

My full review is here.
[Image: tumblr_lk94ugdWBf1qe6mn3o1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_lfn89rxh3M1qbxq6qo1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_mqevaqodRr1qke7z9o3_500.gif]

----------

Latest review: Shazam! (2019)