Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIDSOMMAR (2019)
So - it took me a while to settle my feelings about this. I left the theater feeling very...unsure about my feelings and the movie itself. I kept waiting for an amazing climax - and while what we got understandably fits in with the story and is a symbolic end - I couldn't help but feel like there should've been a stronger...punch. This is not Hereditary, not even in the same ball park as Hereditary, but those final 20 minutes were powerful before coming to a slow end. Maybe it's the fact the horror was much more present in Hereditary - in Midsommar it hides beneath the colorful fairytale that Dani falls into. It's a psychedelic trip - an intense and strong dip in the start, an adjustment to the life around and within us as we settle into the high, a race of colorful, confusing, and frightening feelings, and then - a new perspective of life and ourselves afterwards. Midsommar is not a horror movie by the usual expectations of one. Something that I feel works against the movie - but in context of the story it tells - works extremely well. It's clearly a thought out, imaginative break up film. Thinking about the film, I have to compare it to one of my favorites, Suspiria 2018. The horror is there - but set in realism to the viewers eyes (as realistic as it can possibly be...).

Let's start with our protagonist - Dani. Experiencing a horrific event that faintly reminds me of Hereditary/The Strange Thing About the Johnsons. Ari Aster does love his family tragedies. The whole film she's passive - but sympathetic. It's hard to empathize with her (from my perspective) but it's easy to understand the passiveness comes from the stagnant place she's in - winter. There's a lot of important factors that outlines Midsommar but seasons is definitely one of them. How we are all apart of a cycle much like nature - dying, changing, and renewing. Much like the process Dani goes through. Aster has hit some kind of goldmine with his second film - teaching us not just on a personal level with a character - but rather a community's cultural level that we can either grow accustomed to the traditions set in stone or be weeded out. It's an interesting perspective to take on when you consider the traditions that tarnish America now. It's not as much as the importance of Dani going through these seasons - but rather how there's something bigger and possibly more menacing at hand. It's life, it's our beliefs, it's how we learn to hate and love the world around us. And as for Dani's case, it's how we use the power we're given by something universal to change the course of our own lives.
[Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o3_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o7_r3_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o5_r2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o1_400.gif]
We are all in strung-out shape, but stay frosty, and alert. We cannot afford to let one of those bastards in here.
yasss at the review. it sounds great to me, i wanna see it but its only playing at 8:30 pm so idk
(07-14-2019, 05:12 AM)TheCheetahwings Wrote: yasss at the review. it sounds great to me, i wanna see it but its only playing at 8:30 pm so idk

It's my interpretation of the film. Of course there's a lot more to dissect about it, but this is what I strongest feel like the film is about as it shows time and time again. 

It's worth seeing in theaters for its striking visuals.
[Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o3_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o7_r3_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o5_r2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o1_400.gif]
We are all in strung-out shape, but stay frosty, and alert. We cannot afford to let one of those bastards in here.