Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Rated R for intense prolonged realistically graphic scenes of war violence, and for language

[Image: Saving_Private_Ryan_poster.jpg]

Quote:Captain John Miller (Tom Hanks) takes his men behind enemy lines to find Private James Ryan (Matt Damon), whose three brothers have been killed in combat. While searching for Ryan, surrounded by the brutal realities of war, each man embarks upon a personal journey and discovers their own strength to triumph over an uncertain future with honor, decency, and courage.

See the R rating this movie got? That content descriptor isn't being hyperbolic; Steven Spielberg legitimately believed that the MPAA might give this film an NC-17 rating. Even watching it for the first time this past Thursday (for the 75th D-Day anniversary), having been desensitized by a lifetime of watching horror movies, I can tell you that this movie was brutal, and had me wincing at a few points. And it wouldn't have worked any other way. It manages that mix of darkness and warmth that Spielberg is among the few who can really pull off, a movie that pulls no punches and yet does so not to shove the viewer's face in the mud, but to build a tale of camaraderie and sacrifice that rightly stands among the greatest war movies ever made. And the action scenes themselves are stunning to look at, some of the best large-scale battles ever put on screen, not just the famous Omaha Beach opener but also the numerous scenes that follow, culminating in a finale that's every bit as intense as the beginning. This is one of the best films in the careers of just about everybody involved, and given the people involved, that's no small praise.

My full review is here.
I'm not huge on war movies but I hear good things about this and liked Dunkirk...maybe I'll see sometime
[Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o3_r1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o7_r3_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o5_r2_400.gif][Image: tumblr_pst0ehmhc41qdhps7o1_400.gif]
We are all in strung-out shape, but stay frosty, and alert. We cannot afford to let one of those bastards in here.