Poll: Which part of the 80's were the best time to be a slasher fan?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Early
0%
0 0%
Mid
100.00%
2 100.00%
Late
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better slasher films of the 80's: Early, Mid or Late
Which part of the 80's had the best collection of slasher films?

Early, Mid or Late 80's
LILAH MORGAN
[Image: VTU96yp.gif][Image: RBifvJa.gif][Image: M9EXx0k.gif]
[Image: M4iCszL.gif][Image: tOx8HD3.gif][Image: q2QwGnb.gif?dateline=1545710331]
It`s a survival thing. I made a lot of devil`s bargains and I stuck to them. As a result I live somewhat dangerously and quite comfortably. And my mother, who no longer recognizes me, has the best room in the clinic. I get up every morning, put on my game face and do what I have to.
What periods define early/mid/late? Like specific years
[Image: bJnaiaN.png?1]
[Image: hCyioEZ.gif][Image: 5uktvJb.gif][Image: 8fYEeHi.gif]
[Image: P202PRj.gif][Image: Umg6ZcL.gif][Image: gt9sM7d.gif]
Do you know what it`s like to be told how lucky you are to be someone`s prisoner?
(07-07-2019, 01:18 AM)Repo Wrote: What periods define early/mid/late? Like specific years

1980-1983 (Early)
1984-1986 (Mid)
1987-1989 (Late)
LILAH MORGAN
[Image: VTU96yp.gif][Image: RBifvJa.gif][Image: M9EXx0k.gif]
[Image: M4iCszL.gif][Image: tOx8HD3.gif][Image: q2QwGnb.gif?dateline=1545710331]
It`s a survival thing. I made a lot of devil`s bargains and I stuck to them. As a result I live somewhat dangerously and quite comfortably. And my mother, who no longer recognizes me, has the best room in the clinic. I get up every morning, put on my game face and do what I have to.
Easily Mid.
Do you know what it`s like to be told how lucky you are to be someone`s prisoner?
I'd say the early '80s. That was when you had the big burst of creativity after Halloween and Friday the 13th, and while not every one of those films was good, the period did give us some classics like My Bloody Valentine and Sleepaway Camp. The problem with the mid-'80s is that, while it gave us classics like A Nightmare on Elm Street and two of the best Friday the 13th films (I actually cast my vote for the mid-'80s before changing my mind writing this, on the strength of its best films), it was also when the genre started getting oversaturated as every studio and indie hack jumped in to make a quick buck.

That eventually brings us to the late '80s, which is when the slasher genre just completely drowned under the weight of direct-to-video crap while the big franchises fell to pieces. At that point, you had to look for quality slashers, and most people were moving on to other horror genres. It may have only finally imploded in the '90s, but things were bad for several years before then.
[Image: tumblr_lk94ugdWBf1qe6mn3o1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_lfn89rxh3M1qbxq6qo1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_mqevaqodRr1qke7z9o3_500.gif]

----------

Latest review: Childs Play (2019)
(07-20-2019, 01:12 PM)Kevin R. Wrote: I'd say the early '80s. That was when you had the big burst of creativity after Halloween and Friday the 13th, and while not every one of those films was good, the period did give us some classics like My Bloody Valentine and Sleepaway Camp. The problem with the mid-'80s is that, while it gave us classics like A Nightmare on Elm Street and two of the best Friday the 13th films (I actually cast my vote for the mid-'80s before changing my mind writing this, on the strength of its best films), it was also when the genre started getting oversaturated as every studio and indie hack jumped in to make a quick buck.

That eventually brings us to the late '80s, which is when the slasher genre just completely drowned under the weight of direct-to-video crap while the big franchises fell to pieces. At that point, you had to look for quality slashers, and most people were moving on to other horror genres. It may have only finally imploded in the '90s, but things were bad for several years before then.

Halloween was 1978. Not 80s at all. And the OG Friday film isn’t a big boost in its favor. I agree that you got some good stand-alone one a like MBV, Terror Train, and Hell Night, but you also got some not great standalone stuff like Prom Night, Happy B-Day to Me, and Final Exam. It was very, very hit or miss and the hits weren’t nearly as good as the mid-80s ones.

Mid-80s gave us both campy classics like Chopping Mall or Slaughter High (both genuinely fun), ANOES, some of he best Friday films (including Friday 4), Mutilator was fun, as was April Fool’s Day. Even some good early/late ones almost make midnight (HOSR in 1983, Stagefright in 1987).