Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)
The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)

Rated R for a substantial amount of strong bloody violence, and for strong language

[Image: Long_kiss_goodnight_ver1.jpg]

Quote:Schoolteacher and single mother Samantha Caine (Geena Davis) lives an average suburban life -- until she begins having strange memories of unexplained violence and discovers that she has physical skills that she never imagined. Hiring private detective Mitch Hennessey (Samuel L. Jackson) to probe into her past, Samantha discovers that she's a well-trained government assassin who went missing after suffering a bout of amnesia and that her former handlers want her back in their employ.

This movie had a lot of problems, but it was still pretty damn good, in no small part thanks to Shane Black's script livening up even the parts that didn't really work. The man's stock in trade is buddy-cop banter, like a version of Joss Whedon who instead made very R-rated action movies, and he more than delivered here; the dialogue and witty writing are among this film's strongest elements. I also really liked Samuel L. Jackson playing someone who's very much not the BAMF; instead, he's the one who gets captured or otherwise incapacitated multiple times and has to get saved by the hero. And while it was definitely unintentional, I practically did a spit take when the villain started laying out his evil plan due to how similar it was to any number of 9/11 conspiracy theories (right down to them explicitly referencing the 1993 World Trade Center bombing). That said, while Geena Davis was good playing a soccer mom in the first half of the film and got a lot of great moments with Jackson, she was miscast in the second half when she had to play the female Jason Bourne, unconvincing as a "bad girl" as opposed to someone dressing up as one. The action wasn't anything special either, with only a few really standout scenes. Overall, if you're a fan of '90s action or you think the premise sounds interesting, then check this out by all means.

My full review is here.
[Image: tumblr_lk94ugdWBf1qe6mn3o1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_lfn89rxh3M1qbxq6qo1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_mqevaqodRr1qke7z9o3_500.gif]

----------

Latest review: A Quiet Place (2018)