The Birds (1963)
[Image: 81GUXkMB6nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]
Birds attack Dakota Johnson's grandmother, Lambert from Alien, a man named mitch, and a local lesbian named Annie in a catastrophic
and terrifying thriller by Hitch's Cock (and no, not a breed of bird). 
Hitchcock's films are quite consistent; strong women, family issues, escapism. What's weird about these is...he creates empowered female characters but then punishes them for it. So not really sure how I feel about him as a person but as a director and writer; he's stellar and this is another gem next to Psycho and Rear Window.

Mel & Mitch were amazing characters.
Hitchcock was utter trash without question. I don't think he was punishing them for being empowered women so much as he showed the world punishes them, or maybe its incidental. A lot of his films deal with corrupted men and how they react to said women, so maybe they're autobiographical and accidentally are "Feminist" because he as a person was certainly not feminist.
But if we use that frame of narrative then Hitchcock is self-inserting himself into a role where he can't challenge a woman and she has to be "bossy" or "in power". But it's weird cause it doesn't come across that way vs. like... Synder obviously hating gays and wanting audiences to be disgusted. If he wants audiences to see what happens/or should happen to "women like these" it's casually....morphed as hell
(05-15-2020, 01:25 AM)Boy Interrupted Wrote: But if we use that frame of narrative then Hitchcock is self-inserting himself into a role where he can't challenge a woman and she has to be "bossy" or "in power". But it's weird cause it doesn't come across that way vs. like... Synder obviously hating gays and wanting audiences to be disgusted. If he wants audiences to see what happens/or should happen to "women like these" it's casually....morphed as hell

Snyder didn't hate gays so much as use it as a cheap device to make "straight guys" uncomfortable probably because he felt uncomfortable by them. 

I don't think that Hitchcock was "self inserting" so much as it captures his own inner mind and obsessions (basically just what he's into). He often developed sick obsessions with the actresses he hired on set (Grace Kelly and Tippi especially) which kinda falls in line with the characters in his movies obsessions with women. Women in Hitchcock movies often have that personality because he likes that dynamic I suppose. I don't think he wanted to "put them in their place" so much as he was attracted to women who have that independent nature that he wanted to lock down and capture, basically he was into the power dynamic.
The fact he showed an actress his penis to scare them to produce a believable horror scene. rip Just a weirdo in general. I guess I can see that he's really attracted to women in a more powerful position, I don't really see the taming them aspect-although Mitch dating Mel and the girl from Psycho dying early is a good interpretation of that.