Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hotel General Discussion
[Image: KK9MbE7.jpg?1]

The season's story is set in the Hotel Cortez, an enigmatic, six-story, art-deco hotel based in Los Angeles. 
The plot follows Elizabeth, the owner of the hotel, as she tries to protect herself and her children from the 
fury of her past lover that seeks revenge on her, as well as John Lowe, a Los Angeles homicide detective 
on the task-force for a series of grisly murders that lead him in the direction of the hotel.
[Image: ijRL86a.png?1]
Is there anything better than a natural disaster? 
The panic, the people lost in the streets. It`s like picking fruit off the vine. 

[Image: tumblr_mxnb1sKy7V1qj13q4o1_250.gif][Image: omlbM48.gif][Image: tumblr_p5pdtueuiI1qjvx7uo7_250.gif]
[Image: tumblr_mv30eflOD41qj13q4o2_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_mv30eflOD41qj13q4o1_r2_250.gif][Image: tumblr_mv30eflOD41qj13q4o4_r1_250.gif]
One of the strongest seasons. Definitely had some dull parts though.
[Image: tumblr_pljggpyNf61y06vp8o1_540.gif][Image: tumblr_pljggpyNf61y06vp8o3_540.gif][Image: tumblr_pljggpyNf61y06vp8o6_r2_540.gif]
[Image: tumblr_plj9nr2L4w1qgbrtho5_r1_540.gif][Image: tumblr_plj9nr2L4w1qgbrtho1_540.gif][Image: tumblr_plj9nr2L4w1qgbrtho3_r1_540.gif]

My smile is beamin, my skin is gleamin 
The way it shines, I know youve seen it
It's like a hybrid of Asylum and Coven to me, both in terms of tone (which starts creepy and unsettling Asylum style before morphing into campy and comedic Coven style) and execution. Ultimately, it's not as strong as the former, but certainly better than the latter. You have the pure lunacy and insanity of Asylum, featuring a cast of mostly sociopaths and psychopaths (oh hi, Coven) and throwing a bunch of different things into one season: serial killers, homicidal ghosts, vampires... this season's got a lot going on. On the flipside, it's got the very consistent "OMG WOW" factor of Coven with each episode trying to one-up the previous one and a pretty big emphasis on style and sheer-entertainment-factor over substance and, at times, coherence. It doesn't go off the rails quite the way Coven did (it comes damn close to derailing at points, but, ultimately, Hotel manages to stay on and keep going forward), but it's certainly nowhere near as tightly-knit as Asylum. Whereas everything came together brilliantly in that, with Hotel... some do, and, when they do, it's usually pretty great (John Lowe and James March, everyone rallying against the Countess), but a lot of it feels pretty separate and detatched even come the ending. The pieces and individual storylines are a lot stronger than the overall narrative. Which isn't great, but given the individual pieces are this strong, it barely matters.

What also helps a lot is the characters. Having a cast full of villains gets a bit much, but they're an extremely entertaining and even surprisingly sympathetic (at points) bunch. With the exception of Angela Bassett (I am not sure if she keeps asking for a sassy black woman role again and again or Ryan just doesn't know how to write for her, but that routine was tired and old in Freak Show, let alone Hotel where she was completely pointless), just about everyone stands out in a positive way. Especially James Patrick March, Liz Taylor, Iris, and The Countess. It's nice to see most the cast playing against type too.

All in all, it's an extremely entertaining season. There's some flaws, but nothing crippling and the stuff that works, works extremely well.
[Image: 1l2xAbI.png?2]
You don`t trust me. You don`t think a man can change?
[Image: NOLFt6k.gif?1][Image: sjtAraL.gif?1][Image: LIfUrJ5.gif?1]
[Image: GVxVkcA.gif?1][Image: RIFvTv6.gif][Image: DcS6mJE.gif?1]
The world`s a cesspool, filled with selfish and greedy beasts. We live. We die.

Yeah, I think you're right about this being the perfect blend of Asylum & Coven. The season does lose my interest at points but it's generally strong for Countness, John, Sally, March, Elizabeth Taylor, & other minor characters who are pleasant in their roles.
[Image: tumblr_pljggpyNf61y06vp8o1_540.gif][Image: tumblr_pljggpyNf61y06vp8o3_540.gif][Image: tumblr_pljggpyNf61y06vp8o6_r2_540.gif]
[Image: tumblr_plj9nr2L4w1qgbrtho5_r1_540.gif][Image: tumblr_plj9nr2L4w1qgbrtho1_540.gif][Image: tumblr_plj9nr2L4w1qgbrtho3_r1_540.gif]

(09-13-2018, 12:39 AM)Eggsy Wrote: Yeah, I think you're right about this being the perfect blend of Asylum & Coven. The season does lose my interest at points but it's generally strong for Countness, John, Sally, March, Elizabeth Taylor, & other minor characters who are pleasant in their roles.

Don't snub Iris and Donovan!
[Image: 1l2xAbI.png?2]
You don`t trust me. You don`t think a man can change?
[Image: NOLFt6k.gif?1][Image: sjtAraL.gif?1][Image: LIfUrJ5.gif?1]
[Image: GVxVkcA.gif?1][Image: RIFvTv6.gif][Image: DcS6mJE.gif?1]
The world`s a cesspool, filled with selfish and greedy beasts. We live. We die.

(09-13-2018, 12:48 AM)Repo Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 12:39 AM)Eggsy Wrote: Yeah, I think you're right about this being the perfect blend of Asylum & Coven. The season does lose my interest at points but it's generally strong for Countness, John, Sally, March, Elizabeth Taylor, & other minor characters who are pleasant in their roles.

Don't snub Iris and Donovan!

Hense why I said other minor characters! Matt Bomer should return as a preppy gay dad.