Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN (1989)
[Image: v0MHKBH.jpg]
A boat of graduating high school students bound for Manhattan pulls Jason Voorhees along for the ride. Look out, New York - here comes Hell in a hockey mask.
[Image: ZeahVex.png]
[Image: xSoDp4m.gif][Image: vgKJue2.gif][Image: 8fOtMmr.gif]
[Image: zf410hX.gif][Image: QHneyGV.gif][Image: v5DfEro.gif]

I used to not like this one, but it's grown on me. Actually pretty fun. That said
Show ContentSpoiler:
[Image: w9H9Sbv.png?1]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo3-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo4-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo1-250.gif]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo5-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo8-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo6-250.gif]
We have a payload to deliver to the heart of our nearest star. We are delivering that payload cause that star is dying and, if it dies, we die, everything dies. So that is our mission, there is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story.

Too bad they had to pull the original poster up there and go with something more generic because New York City's tourism commission complained. That poster is probably the best thing about this movie. Watching it, I can see how this movie wound up briefly killing the series (at the very least, it caused Paramount to sell the rights to New Line), because above all, it was just boring. All the worst parts of the series, but few of the good parts. There were a lot of kills, but only a small handful worth writing home about, and most of their effectiveness came down more to Kane Hodder than the direction or special effects. The characters were mostly blank slates, and pale imitations of better versions of their archetypes from prior films, apart from Rennie's thinly-written arc about having survived a near-drowning at Jason's hands. The budget cuts really ruined whatever potential this movie might've had. It had a few redeeming moments that kept me from really hating it, but overall, I'd only watch it if you're a diehard Friday fan.

My full review is here.
[Image: tumblr_lk94ugdWBf1qe6mn3o1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_lfn89rxh3M1qbxq6qo1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_mqevaqodRr1qke7z9o3_500.gif]

----------

Latest review: A Quiet Place (2018)
I saw this last Friday (on the 13th, natch) at a screening at the local indie theater; they were originally also gonna do The Final Chapter on Thursday and Freddy vs. Jason on Saturday, but they preemptively canceled those when it looked like Hurricane Dorian was coming our way (it ultimately missed us). Watching it with a crowd made it more enjoyable, it was a bit gorier than I remembered, and I loved the New York-style pizza they were serving... but it still wasn't a very good movie. All the problems I had with it before were still there, and it's really a movie that you need to be a diehard fan of the series to enjoy.

Still a very fun night, though.
[Image: tumblr_lk94ugdWBf1qe6mn3o1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_lfn89rxh3M1qbxq6qo1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_mqevaqodRr1qke7z9o3_500.gif]

----------

Latest review: A Quiet Place (2018)