Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secret of the Scarlet Hand (2002)
[Image: 6gzZPS6.png]
Secret of the Scarlet Hand is the sixth installment in the Nancy Drew point-and-click adventure game series by Her Interactive. Between cases, Nancy Drew has taken an internship as Deputy Curator at the Beech Hill Museum in Washington, D.C. Nancy soon discovers she will be doing more than learning about ancient Mayan artifacts – there have been a series of thefts and the only clue left behind is a mysterious scarlet handprint! Will Nancy be able to put the pieces of this ancient puzzle together? Or will the mystery remain entombed forever in Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand?
[Image: w9H9Sbv.png?1]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo3-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo4-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo1-250.gif]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo5-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo8-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo6-250.gif]
We have a payload to deliver to the heart of our nearest star. We are delivering that payload cause that star is dying and, if it dies, we die, everything dies. So that is our mission, there is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story.

I *always* wanted to play this but it was randomly impossible for me to track down.
[Image: tumblr_pgqd1jQd4I1qiiay5o7_250.gifv][Image: tumblr_pgqd1jQd4I1qiiay5o3_250.gif][Image: tumblr_pgqd1jQd4I1qiiay5o2_250.gif]

Here`s to four straight years
of pre-gaming with the dead...

[Image: tumblr_pgqd1jQd4I1qiiay5o5_250.gif][Image: tumblr_pgqd1jQd4I1qiiay5o1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_pgqd1jQd4I1qiiay5o4_250.gif]
(06-13-2018, 05:13 AM)TyeSays Wrote: I *always* wanted to play this but it was randomly impossible for me to track down.

You can buy it on Steam, but I'd seek out others first.

So... to call this one a mixed bag is quite the understatement. As long as things go in order, it's overall solid. It's Golden Age Nancy Drew, so that's essentially a given. Though I won't lie, of the Golden Age Nancy Drew games... this one definitely doesn't resonate with me as much as others. It's a lot more ambitious than the ones that come before it and aiming for a plot that's way broader in scope (the art-thievery is happening across the country, Nancy is trying to bring ancient Mayan artifacts together from across the globe, Nancy goes to a couple different locations in DC), but I don't think it quite measures up to it. A lot of that stuff just means long phone calls as people agree to mail you stuff, and lots of them. Not the most engaging thing in the world. It also steps up the chore stuff even more (given Nancy is an intern and only stumbles onto a mystery partially though)... though most of these ones are at least relatively quick and easy. And again, they introduce different parts of the game's story and concept. And I don't even fuck around with the trivia scavenger hunt anymore; I just google the answers. Running around a museum writing down the answers to a trivia Q's, running back to input it, then running to write down another isn't creative, clever, or compelling, just boring and tedious bullshit. You can't even get them all at once, it HAS to be done one-at-a-time. I will give it some points: the story is okay (even if the suspects are duds), and you do get a few interesting puzzles. I liked the stuff with the HAM Radio, and the ending puzzle is absolutely stellar; one of the best they've done, actually.

That said, and this is where the giant but comes in, this might be the most finnicky Nancy Drew game ever. It flips the fuck OUT if you do anything out of order. The triggers are obscure and unclear, leading you to literally run around rooms trying to figure out what you missed. You  have two phone calls and, apparently, it does matter which you use. I kept trying to call the Chaco Cultural Center with the museum phone only to get a busy signal, but the hotel phone worked fine. It's just an absolute nightmare of epic proportions.

So.. you can range from okay but lesser to utterly frustrating nightmare.
[Image: w9H9Sbv.png?1]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo3-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo4-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo1-250.gif]
[Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo5-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo8-250.gif][Image: tumblr-mtyxnqci-MP1sn3euyo6-250.gif]
We have a payload to deliver to the heart of our nearest star. We are delivering that payload cause that star is dying and, if it dies, we die, everything dies. So that is our mission, there is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story.