Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The First Purge (2018)
These movies are just too silly conceptually
[Image: 2OylL7h.png?1]
Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why?
They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logic.

[Image: tumblr_nt334n1Ivi1qc2pylo6_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nt334n1Ivi1qc2pylo2_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nt334n1Ivi1qc2pylo8_250.gif]
[Image: tumblr_nt334n1Ivi1qc2pylo10_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nt334n1Ivi1qc2pylo7_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nt334n1Ivi1qc2pylo9_r1_250.gif]

Society is binding. Right? It’s filling in the cracks with concrete. Everything’s filed or reported, logged, right?
Chips in our kids heads so they won’t get lost. Society needs to crumble. We’re all just too chicken shit to let it.
I mean, they're not grounded in realism, but tons of movies have unrealistic and outlandish concepts that they pull off. As said, I think the main issue is that this series isn't really aware of the conceptual limitations. The Purge as an actual event would be interesting and horrifying to observe unfold with lots of potential for interesting psychological horror. On a sociological scale, however, nothing about it holds up at all. Going for the former and asking us to just suspend our disbelief and go with it is fine (after all, it's not like A Nightmare on Elm Street or Final Destination are plausible concepts in the real world either). Actually trying to use this concept for a broad discussion and narrative about sociology inevitably leads to story collapse because of all the holes in the logic, which are now being made crucial to the themes and narrative.

Also, uh, the director/writer is just mind-numbingly idiotic and incompetent. Having an actual brain might help the political commentary too. Put The Purge in capable hands and I think you could make a very good movie out of it.
[Image: 5ijy0w1.png?1]
[Image: 9jI0agj.gif][Image: UEueU1q.gif][Image: 3KM4LvR.gif]
[Image: ZWRZHAl.gif][Image: nKNRiyG.gif][Image: bnUHrh6.gif]
Look, you guys stay in the rambler. I`ll get help. If I wipe out, I`ll fucking limp for help. But, I`m coming back
here. I`m coming back with cops, and choppers, and large fucking guns, and those things are going to pay. For Jules...
Using this film as a hookup plot device >
[Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao5_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao4_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao1_r1_250.gif]
[Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao2_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao8_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao7_250.gif]

THE SCHOLAR
Curt and Jules have sold you to me for marriage...
The Purge as a whole is definitely one of those horror franchises that I can see, twenty years or so from now, getting a remake that people actually don't complain about. Because as much as I enjoy these movies, even I can admit that they're powered more by populist fury than by storytelling chops. I often compare these movies to '70s grindhouse films that tried to be "about something" beyond just sex and death, and that comparison comes warts and all; a lot of those films were, if anything, even clunkier with their metaphors and messages than The Purge.
[Image: tumblr_lk94ugdWBf1qe6mn3o1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_lfn89rxh3M1qbxq6qo1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_mqevaqodRr1qke7z9o3_500.gif]

----------

Latest review: Captain Marvel (2019)
Honestly the way they handled the political side of these films went so far off the rails after 1
[Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao5_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao4_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao1_r1_250.gif]
[Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao2_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao8_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nbwnzm8Uso1rmdeiao7_250.gif]

THE SCHOLAR
Curt and Jules have sold you to me for marriage...
(02-24-2019, 09:18 PM)GoneWasAnyTrace Wrote: Honestly the way they handled the political side of these films went so far off the rails after 1

It was still off the rails in 1 (the biggest proof being that we all hate the son and consider him an idiot when the director, very clearly, was trying to make a point that he did the right thing by letting black homeless military vet stranger into the house and saving his life). The social and political commentary has never been on the rails.
[Image: 5ijy0w1.png?1]
[Image: 9jI0agj.gif][Image: UEueU1q.gif][Image: 3KM4LvR.gif]
[Image: ZWRZHAl.gif][Image: nKNRiyG.gif][Image: bnUHrh6.gif]
Look, you guys stay in the rambler. I`ll get help. If I wipe out, I`ll fucking limp for help. But, I`m coming back
here. I`m coming back with cops, and choppers, and large fucking guns, and those things are going to pay. For Jules...