Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civilization
(12-05-2018, 02:18 AM)Kevin R. Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 10:57 PM)Repo Wrote: The Maori are in. Leak is 2/2. Loving the looks of this Civ, though. Especially the totally unique Ocean-start. Seems like it'll really change how the game is played. Though Norway is in critical need of a buff or rework with this one coming out.

The Moana/"You're Welcome"/"It's Maui time" jokes alone made this worth it. I actually think their interactions with Norway will be quite interesting to see, given that Norway is an offense-focused naval civ and the Maori are a defense-focused one.

Pay attention, however, to the full description of the Maori's unique ability, Mana. They didn't mention it in the trailer, but it said that the Maori can't harvest bonus resources or earn Great Writers. In other words, they face a serious uphill battle winning a Cultural Victory, though the Marae unique building does offer a big boost to Culture output to defend against somebody else going for such. On the other hand, I'd say that the Marae's boost to Faith output, and their defensive nature, both lend themselves well to a Religious Victory.

They can, however, still chop down trees (most likely) which is huge for wonders, and tiles that generate culture will also generate tourism towards the late game. It’ll be an atypical one, but I think it’ll still be viable. I agree that religion also seems like a potentially strong candidate, depending on how much the early start slows down from great prophet generation.
[Image: QZgm7BV.png]
God save us from half the people who think they`re doing God`s work.
[Image: hmxtIX1.gif][Image: 5iHvug5.gif][Image: ymCkuEn.gif]
[Image: htq0bgP.gif][Image: IDgw5N0.gif][Image: hViSDml.gif]
I mean come on, we hunt Monsters! Normal people - they see a monster and they run, but not us; we search out things that want to kill us. You know who does that? Crazy People!
(12-05-2018, 02:23 AM)Repo Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 02:18 AM)Kevin R. Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 10:57 PM)Repo Wrote: The Maori are in. Leak is 2/2. Loving the looks of this Civ, though. Especially the totally unique Ocean-start. Seems like it'll really change how the game is played. Though Norway is in critical need of a buff or rework with this one coming out.

The Moana/"You're Welcome"/"It's Maui time" jokes alone made this worth it. I actually think their interactions with Norway will be quite interesting to see, given that Norway is an offense-focused naval civ and the Maori are a defense-focused one.

Pay attention, however, to the full description of the Maori's unique ability, Mana. They didn't mention it in the trailer, but it said that the Maori can't harvest bonus resources or earn Great Writers. In other words, they face a serious uphill battle winning a Cultural Victory, though the Marae unique building does offer a big boost to Culture output to defend against somebody else going for such. On the other hand, I'd say that the Marae's boost to Faith output, and their defensive nature, both lend themselves well to a Religious Victory.

They can, however, still chop down trees (most likely) which is huge for wonders, and tiles that generate culture will also generate tourism towards the late game. It’ll be an atypical one, but I think it’ll still be viable. I agree that religion also seems like a potentially strong candidate, depending on how much the early start slows down from great prophet generation.

That's a good point on culture. I'm watching the devs' livestream of the Maori, and they brought that up, that they become a lot more competitive culturally in the late game. On the other hand, they also revealed a major weakness that the Maori are gonna have when it comes to loyalty, because of how their ocean start and unique ability pushes them to spread across the ocean, settling marginal lands that are often closer to other civs' capitals than their own. Spamming cities across continents and islands as Polynesia was a viable strategy in Civ V; that won't be the case here.
[Image: tumblr_ndmca8WK6j1rp0vkjo1_500.gif] [Image: tumblr_ndtsl4bRoA1rp0vkjo1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_md8voi6luz1qgx37po1_500.gif]

----------

Latest review: Creed II (2018)